Dry Body Brushing is a beautiful thing for our bodies on a daily basis.
What is the largest organ on the body? The Skin
So we need to look after our skin which will then look after what is beneath, bit like a chain reaction!
Some benefits for dry body brushing:
Dry body brushing removes dead skin cells, clearing clogged pores, making your skin feel soft and smooth, and allowing your skin to “breathe.”
When dry brushing, it increases circulation to your skin, which encourages the elimination of wastes and toxins – detoxification!
Dry body brushing can make people feel very invigorated afterwards. Your skin comes alive and may feel tingling which in return makes you feel more alive.
Stimulate Your Lymphatic System
Dry body brushing stimulates the lymphatic system by helping it to release toxins. If your lymphatic system is not working as it should, waste and toxins can build up and make you sick. Lymphatic congestion can lead into inflammation and disease.
How to Body Brush:
- Purchase a natural bristle brush – short or long handle or both!
- I personally recommend doing it first thing in the morning before you get dressed and before exercising and having a shower. You can body brush for as long as you like.
- You can body brush at night as well, but I would not suggest body brushing just before bed as it may make you feel more alive and invigorated.
- Pressure should be nice smooth strokes, nothing to hard that your skin turns red.
- Start at your feet then ankles in upwards movements towards your heart, as the lymphatic fluid flows through the body towards the heart.
- Legs and thighs should be nice long movements.
- Next is your stomach, back and arms. Your back though should be brushed from the neck down to the lower back (using a long handled brush will help with this one)
- When brushing over the sensitive and softer areas such as the chest and breast, be a little more cautious and never brush over inflamed skin, sores, sunburn or skin cancer.
- Always have a shower when you have finished exercise and body brushing to wash away all the dead skin cells and impurities.
- Shower Tip: alternate temperatures in the shower from warm too cold as this will invigorate the skin and stimulate the blood circulation.
- Finish of will some nourishing moisturiser.